Sunday, April 26, 2009

Rider down on Route 61...

Josie, Rob and I went out for a 62 (55) miler starting at the Quassy Amusement Park. The weather was incredible...almost too incredible. It was 84 degrees for the first time this year. We stacked up on water and gels and left towards Lake Waramaug. It was long ride #2 for Rob this weekend and without any substantial nutrition over the past three days his energy went down very quickly. I was concerned he will hit a wall at some point during the ride but he managed to stay with us for the most part. When we got to Lake Waramaug Aid Stations had been set up around the lake and runners where crawling over the pavement. At some point I saw 50k turn....100k turn written on the pavement. "=ultra marathon". The runners didn't look too happy at that time which wasn't very surprising with this kind of heat. RESPECT TO ALL OF THEM. After a little break I took the chance to break away from the other two for 1 1/2 loops around the lake for fast 10miles. I kicked it up in the big gear and gained about 5 minutes. Before we left the loop around the lake the helpers at the aid station refilled our water bottles for the last 20miles and off we went. Josie and I felt great so we climbed quickly up some good hills on 106. Eventually we hit route 61 which took us into Bethlehem were we started to decline. Josie followed my lead and Rob wasn't too far off.
At about 25-30mph we went downhill when all of a sudden I passed a pothole by about 2 inches. I didn't see it until it was right below me so I screamed "Pothole" but it was too late. I looked back and until now I have this picture of Josie at a 45 degree angle in my head. I slammed the brakes, through the bike on the road and ran back cuz Josie took a dive on the pavement. Luckily the car behind was able to stop. Josie took away a bunch of scratches on her hands, hips, knee, stomach, etc. The people were so nice to patch up Josies bruises with their first aid kit. The husband even called an ambulance from Bethlehem. The fire department and an ambulance moved out for her :) They blocked the entire street for Josie and with about 12 people they patched up Josie again :) Luckily no broken bones or other scary injuries so her wounds are hopefully healed in a few days. I will give her a rating of 10 for the dive. Great landing without head-pavement-contact. Well done. *crowd is applauding* The people that stopped drove Josie back to the car and Rob and me finished the last 8 miles. (For some emergency pictures check out Rob's blog)
After the shocking event we drove to Carvel to get some well deserved ice cream/hot dog to analyze the crash again. Josie then took me back to CCSU where she noticed that my tire was almost down to the tube. My OMFG brake slam resulted in this...
Good thing the Triathlon Club Summer Santa just brought me a new pair of continental tires. All the best to the fastest female triathlete that I know personally :)

2 comments:

Josie said...

I am still in awe of those ultra-marathoners as well. I'm sure the road rash will heal quickly - I found some more when I took my shower (and some sunburn as well). Thanks for your speedy response to my dramatic bike-slide!

Bob Almighty said...

"Blisterage" on the tire The picks are up on the site. Also dude you guys were flying today.