Saturday, July 4, 2009

MICROFRACTURE

In March my doctor (Dr. Waskowitz) diagnosed me with cartilage damage on my femur. My MRI pictures revealed a 1.6cm small area of missing cartilage that seemed to have caused my pain after running sessions. It was difficult for me to decide if I should get it fixed now or if I should simply step back from such intensive workouts. My final call was based on the facts that:

I am young (better chances of healing quickly)
I wanna be active (what’s life without heavy workouts)
I am covered under my school insurance (why do I pay insurance if I don’t use it)
I am not job hunting yet (crutches at an interview – not a good idea)

Thursday June 25th the day finally arrived. I got a little nervous but who wouldn’t. My orthopedic has done a great job explaining the ins and outs of the procedure called MICROFRACTURE and he made me feel confident in what I was going to do.

MICROFRACTURE is a procedure where small holes are being drilled into the bone (in the damaged area) to stimulate cartilage growth. The cartilage formed fills in for the original cartilage. The downside of this procedure is that the new cartilage will not be as strong as the original cartilage. In my case however a little layer of cartilage was left at the damaged area which will serve as a base for the new cartilage.

The procedure however is only half of my way to returning to competitive triathlons. Rehab is just as important because the new cartilage (scar tissue) can restrict the joints range of motion if not performed seriously. I also have to stay on crutches for 4 weeks so that I don’t damage the cartilage which needs become strong enough for weight baring activities. Range of motion exercises are started early on after surgery so that the cartilage will be shaped correctly. The rest of rehab involves strength exercises to retain the hamstring muscle which I am working on….

07/04 leg lifts: 3000 bends: 1000

(I know I need to do 6000 but it’s difficult…really...I will get there)

1 comment:

Josie said...

6000 leg lifts! Wow, you are going to have one massively strong leg when you're done ;) Glad to hear you're on the road to recovery!