Tuesday, August 12, 2008

soccer, scared lady & average speed PR

Yesterday the Shelter Island Soccer tournament 2008 came to an end. This local event is put together by the Police Chief of the island and voluntary helpers like my friend Oskar. Every year 7 or 8 teams pay an entry fee that is donated to one of Shelter Island's youth programs. Last week the 7 teams played the first round to qualify for the second week. Sunset Beach (the hotel I work for) always puts together a team. Last year we finished 2nd and this year 3rd. The tournament always finishes with a nice get-together-dinner at Sunset Beach. Once again it was a lot of fun. It has been one of the first times that I put my soccer cleats back on after playing soccer for 15 years. Even though soccer dominated my life until I was 21 I am glad that I can say that switching over to triathlon was one of the best things that could have happened to me. I enjoy the sport so much an coaching myself has never excited me more until now.

Today I went for a 60km ride and I think I am getting faster and faster. On the way out towards Montauk I had some tail wind so I averaged a little more than 23miles/h. At one point some lady in a white pick up truck almost made me run into her truck. It could have ended really bad but luckily it didn't. I cruising at 40km/h when she had to pass me shortly before she turned into a side street. Her maneuver made my go left into the middle of the street (Speed Limit here is 55mph) and cars came up flying behind me. If a car would have been closer to me they would have ran right into me. I went around her and screamed into her open window and that's when I saw that she felt bad but her words: "Sorry, I didn't mean to..." would not have saved me in case of a crash. Sorry lady if I scared the crap out of you (I hope you didn't pee your pants) when I jelled but now I think you won't cut of anymore bikers.
At 30k when I turned around I felt how strong the wind actually was so I figured I will try to keep my speed as high as possible until I hit the 40km mark. When I hit 40km I was so motivated to keep my speed that I kept my cadence up. I averaged 22.1miles/h over 60k (37.5miles). I think that's a new PR right there. Go me...

No comments: