Saturday, August 9, 2008

Physical fatigue - Ironman

Physical fatigue or muscle weakness (or "lack of strength") is a direct term for the inability to exert force with one's muscles to the degree that would be expected given the individuals' general physical fitness. (wiki)

Today's practice was a really fun session. I haven't been that close to throwing up in a while. I averaged 36.16km/h over my 20km ride and added a moderate 5km run. Even though my practice only lasted for a bit more than an hour but I was exhausted like I rode 100miles. I love the feeling of exhaustion because it makes me feel like it did it right. NO PAIN NO GAIN.

Nutmeg State Half Iron 2007 - exhausted...



I added the video "The Crawl" to my blog today for everyone that is interested to watch it. Every time I watch the finish of the 1997 Hawaii Ironman I am close to tears. For some reason it touches me like nothing else. It's inspiring and motivating me on my way to my first ironman.

Since Rob decided to do Ironman NZ 2009 I was looking for an alternative to Arizona. This years Ironman 70.3 Switzerland was amazing and why not go back to Switzerland to do the full distance? My family would be there and I had free housing at my parents. 100000 visitors and an amazingly large starter field with 2800 athletes are adding to the tingling feeling in my legs. The only hurdle I have to take is my visa situation.

Summer 2009 will look like this:

- done with college which means my visa is up and I need to apply for OPT (Optional Practice Time)
- OPT will allow me to work in the US for 27months granted I can find a job
- the risky part: if I don't have a job by the time I would leave the US for Ironman Switzerland I am not allowed back in !!!!!
- any race in the US wouldn't be a problem but going overseas during that time can be tricky
- the positive side: Ironman Switzerland has a race entry fee insurance :)

3 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

in addition, I figure since I might need summer course I won't be able to race alot next summer, so I'll do one half and maybe the griskus.

Bob Almighty said...

although I've heard Switzerland is fast as well as Austria if you have to go European I've heard nothing about good things about those races.

Bob Almighty said...

right now both races look like a go, granted I'll probably be better trained when we throw down in AZ.