Sunday, August 24, 2008

Goals for 2009 Season

After today's bike ride I looked at my speedometer and noticed that I rode 1:10h over 40km. Not like a major breakthrough but than I was curious what it would take to get my speed up to pro level. For some reason I remembered that the pros and best age groupers at the 70.3 in Switzerland finished the bike in 2:20h which is exactly twice my time over 40km. Now you might think ok 40km + 40km = 80km (not 90km) but I am not that far off. After moving the crankset in my head a bit I calculated that it would take an average speed of 36km/h (22.5miles/h) to do the 90km in 2:30h.

1. Goal: ride a sub 2:30h over 90km

Winter training: As the season is coming to an end and I need to start thinking about what I want to concentrate on over the winter. I am leaving the US on September 4th to Vienna, Austria. Since I am not sure what kind of winter to expect I thought I would concentrate on bring my swim time to a competitive level. 0:32:45 was what it took me to complete the 1.2mile swim in Switzerland. So any minute that I can cut off my time would be a big step for me. Also I really need to get those flip turns and the two sided breathing going. If I could keep my head under water for an extra stroke I would be cutting time right there. Learning how to flip turn wouldn't help me too much during competitions but it surely would make me look good in the pool...

2. Goal: improve my swim (maybe a 30min swim over 1.2 miles? I might be pushing it...)
3. Goal: two sided breathing
4. Goal: flip turn

I don't know what to do about my run. When I was 17 years old the doctor told me to stop playing soccer since my knees can't take it any longer. That was the worst day in my life... Now I am back doing a sport that doesn't seem to be very knee friendly. I always have to be careful how much I do so running won't become my #1 priority but I think if I become more energy efficient in the water and on the bike I will end up winning on the run too. I won't set myself new running goals but I sure will see improvement.

1 comment:

Bob Almighty said...

Well I didn't get a time on the change, but it went pretty smoothly, although I pinched the tube a bit.

On the swim if they have masters overthere finding a group would really help ( trying to do your own workouts can get tedious sometimes that's why I usually practice with a guys out of my Ymca over winter break.)

On the running, going to a running shop and having them measure your foot and test try their equipment helps because it allows to get the shoes that fit your needs, also ask your doc if a knee brace would help ( one of my Friends Tony Lombardi uses one and his run splits are slightly faster than mine.)

On the bike a trainer helps but because you are in the city see how road conditions are like. If they salt often and traffic allows you maybe able to get some rides in..otherwise cross country sking?