Thursday, July 24, 2008

Vienna City Triathlon

Next stop Vienna, Austria...
I finally signed up for the Vienna City Triathlon in September. This will be my first Olympic distance triathlon. The Vienna Cuty Triathlon belongs to the ITU races and is part of the European Cup. Sadly I registered too late to start in the professional division but at least I can watch the pros go at it since I should finish a few minutes before their start. When I signed up it only cost me $60 (40Euro) which is comparably cheap to New England prices.
After my break, which was way too long, I started to get back on the road. Feels good to be sore again :) I did a 50k ride and a couple of long runs and soon I will be back in shape...The only issue I am having right now is the massive amount of jelly fish in our bay on Shelter Island. The warm water attracts thousands of jelly fish every year that make it impossible to swim comfortably. Maybe Shelter Island is cursed like the land of the pharaoh. We have millions of tiny little frogs after it rains and on top of that we can't go in the water because jelly fish will sting you every 10 yards. What did I do to deserve that? I was thinking that I will dedicate my last week before the race completely to the swim. By September 5th I will be able to go to a regular lake or pool in Vienna which gives me 8 days to the race. I am not looking to come out of the water first anyways so I hope I can at least get comfortable in the water within that time.

that's what the little things look like (not my picture but I could take one just like it) aren't they cute?...NOT


Rob: I know you want to go back to NZ but I think IM Arizona will be easier on your bank account so that you don't have to struggle through the next season and since you haven't done IM Arizona yet you might as well get a taste it. I vote for IM Arizona

2 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

Lookout Vienna....also aren't ITU age group races drfat legal? All I know is Austria will never be the same.

Bob Almighty said...

Registration for IM Arizona opens at Noon Mon Nov.24,2008, but check the racewebsite for a more up to date timeline. So are you in?