Friday, July 25, 2008

Tri-suit or tri-top with shorts?

Today I found myself looking at old pictures from my races and noticed that many of my fellow competitors are wearing a tri-top with tri-shorts. I wondered if I was outdated with my tri-suit. Last year at the Nutmeg Half Iron my tri-suit started to cut off my blood circulation in my legs which caused me to cramp up before I even got to the run, granted the bike leg was insanely hilly but the tri-suit started to shrink on me. The fact that the tri-suit is a one piece did not help either because now every time I tried to pull it down it moved back up in seconds. Knowing that I wouldn't survive the half marathon in my suit I had to change into the only other option I had, long running gear. That would have been great for cold fall day but long running gear in 90 degrees heat did not work out much better than my tied tri-suit. Now everyone at last years race remembers the kid in long running gear. Not a bad way to draw attention to yourself....Do you think I should invest in a tri-top and tri-shorts?
Today's training went great. After my night shift at work I went to bed at 10am. I set my alarm for 3pm because the weather was supposed to be insanely nice. I got up called my girl friend in Austria, ate some left over rice pan and a toast (the toast counts as breakfast and the rice as lunch), and managed to get out of the door at 4pm. Since I left my good bike in Switzerland with my parents I am using my old bike for practice sessions for now. I hope that the extra effort I have to put in on my old bike will help me gain some speed. I finally installed my new bike computer with cadence function :) (been waiting for that a long time). After 30km towards Montauk I decided to turn around to total 60km. On the way back I got hit by some wind but besides that it was an excellent ride. I rolled my bike back in it's parking spot next to the couch, put on my running shoes and started running. 15minutes into my run my hamstring got tied. I think I pulled it this Tuesday playing soccer after a bike ride. Anyways I kept going because it wasn't that bad. The weather was gorgeous and I was really enjoying this.

3 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

The ironman does offer a partial refund, if you have to withdrawl early, but you'll have to check the registration site for full details. So I guess this means a lot of long training rides next summer.

On the topic at hand I find the decision to one piece or two piece is personal choice, I know a lot of guys like the one piece for aerodynamics, especially in shorter races ( also no sun burn on the small of the back after a long bike). I've always been used to two piecing it, so that's what I'm most comfortable doing, granted I end up with a nice tan line on my back.

Judi said...

I wouldn't wear a tri-suit because I have to pee all the time. I like the individual pieces.

Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting too.

Bob Almighty said...

On Nov. 24 I'm calling in *cough* *cough* sick So I can get my slot.