Thursday, June 12, 2008

Shelter Island 10k

After I well deserved break...I am back on the road...almost. Today I took a day off at work and hit the beach. The weather was just right...not too hot (like the last couple of days) and not to windy. There was a nice little breeze at the beach, just right to relax in the sun. A couple of kids and their moms enjoying the day, some teenagers playing beach volleyball, and me chilling on the beach chair of the hotel. I was out there for maybe an hour and a half (so I wouldn't get burnt) and then I went up to one of our hotel rooms to watch the European Championship on ESPN. After the second half I felt some tingeling on my skin....I AM BURNT. How did that happen? I look like a boiled lobster ready for dinner. I wasn't too happy about that because now I have to wait until the sunburn is gone to get back on the bike for long runs. This is the first time in my life that I want clouds to fill the sky. When the sun set today I went for a run with my roommate just to get my legs going again. The run went fine but the shower after was painful. I did what I had to and got out of the shower like I get out of T1. I hope my aloe vera is gonna work wonders on my skin. I know I don't have a second degree burn on my shoulders like Rob but sunburn sucks.
Yesterday I signed up for the famous Shelter Island 10k race. Over 1000 runners will start at this annual event on June 21. Kenyan Lazarus Nyakeraka set the race record in 1995 when he finished at 28:49. This should be fun....not like I can run a 4.37 minute/mile but it should still be fun.
Rob: the club will recieve more funding for next year. Apparently we did a good job. They will give us a bit more than $2300. $1100 for travel expenses. That means we get some funding for a big race that we will do next year. Any idea where you wanna go? Let's make it a good one :)

1 comment:

Bob Almighty said...

Send my butt back to Taupo!

Well if we can get one or two more takers maybe we might send a contingent Collegiate Nats. If not Rob and Bjoern go Long?