Friday, June 6, 2008

looking forward...Ironman 70.3 Monaco???

I have been relaxing the last few days. During the Ironman 70.3 Switzerland I felt a cramp coming up in the back of my knee but I got through without actually getting the cramp. The next days until yesterday that spot troubled me because I couldn't extend my leg completely. I finally got rid of it and can know start a new endover.
The last few days I was trying to figure out what race I would like to do next. Its a bit difficult this season because I work weekends and I can't get off on a Sunday to compete. In the beginning of September I have to leave the country for a while (I am going to study in Austria) but I would like to do another half iron distance race. I was eyeballing the Ironman 70.3 Monaco. It wouldn't cost me too much since I am in Europe already during that time. And who wouldn't want to go to Monaco? And the coolest thing apart from the city is that I will get to run on the Formula 1 course. For those that don't know formula 1, it is the European NASCAR just much better :) So right now I am still undecided but unless I find something better I might sign up.
After the Ironman 70.3 Switzerland I analyzed my splits and realized that to climbe to the top of my age I need to work on my bike and my run. How ironic is that? I thought I was good on the bike but that is where I can make up a lot of time.
Swim split 0:32:54 (rank # 194 overall)
Bike split 2:42:15 (rank # 434 overall)
Run split 1:48:53 (rank # 488 overall)
So for the next weeks I will work on my speed on the bike and the run. I will start to increase my speed over shorter distances (maybe 5 minute intervals) and then increase the distance and speed over the next weeks. I am interested to see if that will work. Any suggestions or workouts to help me increase my speed? I would apreciate any advice.

Thank you!

3 comments:

MichelleYTriMom said...

Hi Bjorn,
CONGRATULATIONS again on Switzerland. I am very proud of you. I think Monaco sounds exciting and you can decrease bike and running time and kick butt in your age group. I sure do miss having you in the pool to inspire me. I look forward to my September race. I am heading to the Mystic River Tri tomorrow. Runor has it the water is 55 degrees F. Now if only I could figure out how to get this damn wetsuit on. Thanks for the lesson.
Love,
MichelleYTriMom

Bob Almighty said...

I can argue that nascar used to be a little more competitive than f1, granted now with all the super teams rampant in Stock Car Racing Joe Gibbs v Hendrick and Roush is similar to the McLaren, Ferrari, Renault battle, if you do Monaco, good luck and remember to accelerate at full speed through the tunnel so you can out brake your opponets into the chicane.

Bob Almighty said...

It all depends on if I can get out of work early. Packet pick up is from 3-6PM so if I'm out at 4 I'll be cutting it close to make the start. If you need a ride back I can definitely give you one.