Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Wetsuit Struggle...

Hey sorry but I haven’t blogged for a while…but now before my race I figured it’s a good time to post a pre-race concern.
I am a bit scared this year even though I shouldn’t be. Last year when I did my first half iron I trained well but I believe I didn’t train as much last year then I did now. I kept a training log and saw that I swam 37000yard (which is a lot for me), I biked about 1500km (which should be more) and ran 32hours (which is restricted due to my knee). I really should be prepared and ready to go but I guess everyone is a bit nervous especially since it goes overseas for me this time. For those that don’t know I will be starting at the Ironman 70.3 Switzerland and my entire family plus extended family plus gf will be there. I am really looking forward to finally having a crowed that will cheer for me (hopefully).
Last time I looked I expected an incredible 1200 people starter field but my last research showed that they must have extended it to 1800. That’s nuts I can’t wait to jump into Lake Zurich with a few people. Talking about swimming there is my concern. I read that the Lake has a temperature of 15 degrees which is like 59 degrees Fahrenheit. That’s cold bbbbrrrrrrrrrr. So now I decided to get a wetsuit but I never used one in my life. Since I don’t like to be restricted in my shoulders I figured I will get a sleeveless one hoping that that will make the change from not using a wetsuit to using one less complicated. My problem is that I don’t have enough time to get used to a wetsuit since my race is in 10 days. Right now I don’t have access to a pool just the cold ocean and I am not sure if I can jump into the Atlantic yet. After all I bought a WetZoot at trisport.com which should get to me by Friday. On Tuesday I will take off to Switzerland where I hope to jump into Lake Zurich a couple of times. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get used to wearing a wetsuit?

1 comment:

Bob Almighty said...

Lots of Body glide, if you're going sleeveless it's just like wearing the tri suit for the first time. good luck, you'll be fine.